These details pertain to the 2018 Annual SPCW Meeting at Portland State University, July 14-19. 2018 with the theme “Freedom & Society”
- Lodging and Meal Reservations Due by Friday, June 1st, 2018. Lodging may well be available after this date, but is on a first-come, first-served basis so please reserve soon.
- Conference Registration Due by Friday, June 15th, 2018. [NOTE : IT IS NOT TOO LATE – PLEASE CONTACT US FOR OPTIONS IF YOU ARE BEYOND THE DEADLINE!]
If you have questions and/or need additional information regarding registration or reimbursement please contact Christian Matheis at email@example.com. If you have questions and/or need additional information regarding lodging, meals, the excursion, and/or information related to accessibility/disabilities, please contact Eric Grey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conference registration fees
- Faculty Presenter: $115
- Student Presenter: $75
- General Attendee (Not Presenting): $35
- Lifetime Member: no additional fee for registration
There are two options available for paying your registration fee:
1) Online with Eventbrite
We are using an online system called Eventbrite for the conference registration, the same system as in previous years. The registration can be found at this URL : https://www.eventbrite.com/e/spcw-annual-meeting-2018-tickets-45414459872
The site will charge a service fee, but it allows for payment by credit card.
The process for Eventbrite registration is as follows:
- Go to the Eventbrite registration site and then click on “Get Tickets.”
- Select a REGISTRATION “ticket”- faculty, student, or lifetime member
- Complete your purchase.
If you need an invoice/receipt for reimbursement purposes, make sure to select the option for Eventbrite to email you your purchase confirmation.
2) Register and send payment by mail
Alternatively, to avoid the service charge, you can mail a check or money order for the registration costs to:
C/O Christian Matheis
241 Graduate Life Center (0325)
155 Otey St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Lodging & Meals — Reservations Due by Friday, June 1st, 2018.
Arranged lodging is in Broadway Hall on the PSU campus. You can read more about the building here : https://www.pdx.edu/housing/broadway. Lodging is $68/day for a single or double (same price) and you can read more about the amenities on the website just provided.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available, and can be added to your registration at a price of $8.80, $9.90 and $11.82 respectively. We assume that many of you will want to take advantage of the wonderful food options in Portland, so you can add none, some or all of the meals. Your choice, but do choose what you want during the registration process.
We recommend purchasing breakfast and lunch options for the benefit of quickly coming and going during the daytime meeting, and then enjoying dinner out at local restaurants.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and other options will be able to be accommodated with no additional work on your part.
Parking is available during the registration process. The cost is $15/day or $65/week. Street parking in the area will be quite limited and not entirely recommended. There are parking garages all around downtown, but you won’t find significantly better prices elsewhere.
If you would like some idea of the program while making your plans, click this link to get the latest draft program. Note: this may change between now and the conference, but changes will hopefully be minor.
The registration can be found at this URL : https://housingportal.pdx.edu/StarRezPortal/Go/Conference/237
The process is as follows:
- Scroll to the bottom of the page with the tree image & options for dining and lodging and click “Sign up.”
- Enter your relevant registration & demographic information into the provided form, press “Submit”
- You’ll be given a password you can use to log back into the system on the next page, press “Save and Continue.”
- If you want to sign up for lodging, answer the question appropriately by putting a mark in the Yes circle, the options will be revealed.
- Choose “Single room” (this is the only option) and the dates you will be there, which should update the “Number of nights” on the page. When you are satisfied, press “Save and Continue.” At this time, you are only able to register for the dates the conference is running – not before or afterwards. As of 2018-05-25 we are investigating other options, but do not have any information at this time.
- You’ll then be taken to the page to sign up for parking & meals. To choose your options, click on the line associated with the option, it will turn orange. You’ll see a “Quantity” box at the bottom, make sure it reads the appropriate number (you may want to choose 2 if you’re reserving for 2 people in a single room) and then press “Add.” You’ll need to do this for each option, and you’ll see the list of the things you’ve added at the top of the page. When you’re done, press “Save & Continue.”
- You’ll then be taken to a final confirmation of your options, and will then proceed through the payment process – all completed online.
- You should receive a confirmation email. If you run into any technological problems during the process, it’s best to reach out to PSU directly, as we don’t have any control over the registration platform itself. The email address is provided on each page, near the bottom.
What if you don’t want to stay in the dorms, or if they don’t work for you for some reason?
Portland is a nice city, with lots of lodging options near the University.
Lower cost options
- University Place Hotel
- Downtown Value Inn
- Econo Lodge City Center – Address: 1889 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201
Phone: (503) 226-7646
Higher cost options
There are of course ubiquitous house sharing & other alternative housing options near Portland State University. There are also local hostels, including one on the West side not too far from our conference location.
The group excursion will be an urban exploration & hike in Washington Park. Details will be available with your conference materials and will be added in PDF form here when available.
How do I get to Portland State University?
- Here’s a link to a Google Map to help you get to Portland State.
- There are multiple public transportation options. From the airport, the Red Line via Trimet will take you downtown, and you can use other public transportation (bus, streetcar) from there. To search for public transportation options, feel free to check out Trimet’s website.
- Here’s a campus map to help you find Broadway Hall once you’re on the PSU campus : https://www.pdx.edu/campus-map